Oh, Great. Just what the world needs.
ANOTHER so-called clever acronym!
As much as we may love to hate the acronyms that countless ads and how-to guides have planted in our minds, we can’t help but acknowledge how useful they really are. Two things that no one has any use for, however, are bed bugs and second-rate bed bug extermination service. So, in the shadow of my cheesy predecessors, I insist…
If you need to get bed bugs out of your home, make sure you do it the S.M.A.R.T. Way
Safeguard Your Checkbook
The extermination of bed bed bugs can be a very expensive process, especially if a bed bug infestation has spread to more than one room. The easiest way to ensure that you get ripped off and pay hundreds of dollars for crappy service is to have absolutely no idea what the representatives of the company you hire are doing in your home. Consequently, if you want to protect yourself from this sad and expensive fate, do your homework!
Here are some things you’ll want to know about before you make any calls for bed bug extermination:
- The Bed Bug is a small flat insect that can creep into your home through tiny holes and cracks in your walls,doors, roof and windows. They can be hard to detect, but the appearance of blood splotches on your mattress, insect bites on your skin, a sweet and unpleasant odor, and little brown spots of fecal matter are common signs of a bed bug infestation. (See my previous article on How to Treat Bed Bugs for more detailed information about bed bugs and bed bug treatment)
- The Bed bug extermination process is labor intensive and generally involves thorough cleaning of clothing and furniture as well as home repairs to eliminate cracks that bed bugs can crawl into. The cleaning is usually followed by the application of chemical insecticides.
- The most common insecticide is the pyrethroid. The pyrethroid is a low impact chemical that is perfect for creeping into the exoskeleton of the bed bug and killin’ em from the inside out.
- The room or rooms to be serviced may be out of commission for a little while, so adjust accordingly. Also, be sure to have a lot of detergent for cleaning clothes, bedding and pillows.
- Extermination services can cost several hundreds of dollars, so be prepared to adjust your budget accordingly.
Different companies do have different procedures, so make sure that you know the specifics of the procedures practiced by any company that you are thinking of hiring. This short list provides a jump start to guarding yourself from poor bed bug extermination service with just a little bit of knowledge.
Make a Quality Based Decision
Now that you’ve done your preliminary research, you’ll need to decide which company you are going to hire from.
As with any service, there are variances in the price for bed bug extermination. As much as we wish and don’t wish that higher price meant higher quality, getting the best bed bug extermination service in your budget range is rarely so simple. Again, this is where it’s important to do your research and know exactly what you’re looking for.
- Compile a list of minimum requirements and zero-tolerance restrictions (to help make your expectations clear)
- Get an estimate. (Many companies provide this as part of the service)
- Consult multiple companies and compare what they charge
- Check reviews for each of the companies to get a first-hand opinion
- In the end, if it comes down to choosing better service or lower cost, always choose better service
The steep price of professional bed bug extermination has led to the increase in popularity of DIY pest control. While this may certainly be a cheaper and less invasive option for bed bug extermination, it’s also very risky. A poor attempt at extermination can render a chemical purchase worthless. Some have found success with DIY bed bug extermination, but if you’re not 100% certain that you the time, patience, precision and perseverance to exterminate bed bugs on your own, hiring a professional may ultimately be your best choice.
Always Be Aware
When you have people working in your home, you always want to make sure that the time they spend working is valuable and also that they are not spending too much time around your valuables. You should remain respectful and not be intrusive when the employees are working, but you should have a presence and have very clear boundaries. If you ever feel like those boundaries have been violated, contact a representative at a higher position in the company and have the problems resolved in a stern, but civil manner.
Recheck. Receipt. Reassure.
I can’t stress enough the importance of protecting yourself legally and financially. Never jump into any bed bug extermination service without knowing what the agreement is, on paper, between you and the hired company. If you should ever need to take legal action against a provider, be sure to have physical evidence to support your claims.
Tell It On the Mountain
When trying to get the best bed bug extermination service possible, it is absolutely essential to have access to useful reviews. Once you receive extermination services, share your experiences via internet and word-of-mouth so that others can benefit from your review just as you benefited from the reviews of customers before you.